Friday, August 8, 2008

Grief Gives Way to Hope

On my wedding day, my dad and I danced to "Cinderella" by Stephen Curtis Chapman, and although that day was full of wedded bliss for us, I couldn't help but cry as the song played and I thought of a precious little girl who had died just 2 days before named Maria Sue. She was one of the inspirations for her daddy's song, and my heart was heavy knowing that she would never have her father/daughter dance on her wedding day.

I just watched Larry King Live on which he interviewed the Chapmans, still wrestling deep in their grief, but obviously remaining deeper still in the hope that has sustained them. I am amazed. I, like many others, have cried reading every article or watching every interview about this tragic accident. My heart has been so moved and encouraged and broken for a family that is truly clinging to Jesus for every breath. How the Lord must trust them to allow such a horrific loss and blinding sorrow and yet still find them holding to who they know their God to be. 

Tragedy is all around us. We see it on the news and read it in the paper and pray to God that it doesn't come near us. But after seeing the honest but hopeful response from the Chapmans, I am forced to ask myself the question, "What if that were me?" How would I cope? Where would I run? Would I sing as loudly about a loving God when I am pained beyond what I can bear as I do when my heart is burden free? My faith has been challenged to the core just by watching this family and the way they have been honest about their pain but never once doubted the arms that were holding them. I am reminded that we do not grieve as those who have no hope. Our lives on this earth are but a breath, short and fragile, and we were made for a much better place. One day we will be completely whole, finally in His presence. Until then may we as followers of Jesus remain faithful to the God whose name is Faithful even in the midst of our darkest night or worst nightmare, knowing that He is good in all things. He is our Sustainer. He is the Father who loves us. He is the one holding Maria even now.

6 comments:

Kathy Schwanke said...

Meredith, congratulations on your wedding. I saw the video of the Chapmans from Good Morning America. I saw what you did. It never ceases to amaze me how God's people have such grace in such painful circumstances.

I am glad you have a blog. I was just listening to your cd that I purchased and you signed last March when you were @ Northwestern College in Roseville Mn for the Set Apart confrence. Your music blesses me so much!! I am glad you have another cd.

The reason I came to your website today is the Lord put it on my heart to post about your music on my blog, so I wanted to check out your website first. Glad I did!

Love and Blessings! Kathy

Patience Leino said...

Well said, Mere! We serve such an awesome, faithful God.

Aunt Angie said...

This was a very moving post.
I came here by way of Kathy of Blessed Builder! She had posted a link on her blog re: your music--I WANTED to hear ...but unfortunately--something happened on my computer between me and the link. :( So...if you have another link that I could "listen" and enjoy---I would love to hear!!!
Thanks :)

Gary Durbin said...

I was definitely moved by the interview too. It's awesome to see their faith come through such an awful tragedy.
And I keep hearing you on the radio. I know God is using you in a big way for His glory. Awesome stuff.

Ms. De said...

Meredith, I am not a blogger, but had to acquire a name so I could let you know what a blessing your song "You're Never Alone" has been to me. I have been through some incredibly difficult times and the Lord has brought me to a place where it is just He and I. I have struggled with severe lonliness, missing my kids as they make their own way in the world, and a husband who was my best friend. Whenever I am at my lowest lately, the Lord will bring your song to me and remind me that He will never leave me nor forsake me. Thank you for your obedience to Him and for staying committed to your own personal relationship to the Lord first and foremost. Your music reflects this!! Be blessed in your new marriage and in your endeavors to serve the Most High!! I look forward to hearing more of your songs! De

Unknown said...

I love your new album The Invitation. Please keep them coming. (More please.)

Congratulations on your wedding. BTW, I've been bitten by the bug as well. Just married one year ago to a young Filipina gal that I met while visiting 6 children that I help to sponser in the Philippines.