Sunday, January 18, 2009

Resolute Mercy

Happy New Year! Well we’re over 2 weeks into 2009, and despite my most sincere resolutions, I haven’t been to the gym once. I’m beginning to think maybe that goal wasn’t so heart-felt after all. I’ve never been big on making New Year’s resolutions, but I can see why so many set their sights high and batten down the hatches with their list of “I wills” and hoped for accomplishments. It’s a new year. And a chance for a new start. Time to put old things behind and be all that you can be. (Hey, you may even join the army while you’re at it if that’s your slogan.) But as I was thinking more and more about these promises we make to ourselves when the ball drops each year in hopes of starting fresh, it hit me. Sure, we get the chance to start over in the new year. But let us not so quickly forget that it’s also an opportunity we are handed by God Himeself every day. Lamentations 3 says that God’s mercies, His compassions, are new every morning. They never fail to be new. He is faithful to offer mercy anew with each sunrise. So in my mind it takes the pressure off of us. Instead of beating ourselves up over resolutions unattained, we can claim the mercy of God that so beautifully covers us every day knowing that His grace is sufficient to grow and teach and shape us into the people He wants us to be. Resolutions or not, God is faithful and we can rest in that. Broken promises or missed opportunities yesterday? Cheer up. Today is a new day and His mercy awaits you.

No comments: